History of the Club

The Kingborough Bowls Club was established in 1952 to provide a venue for lawn bowls and community activities for the citizens of the Kingston and Channel areas.

Today it maintains two excellent lawn bowling greens, an indoor bowls centre and a modern clubhouse (opened 1996) on a 2ha site two kilometres north of Margate on the Channel Highway (approximately 6km south of Kingston). The Club services the ever growing suburban areas of the Kingborough Municipality (Kingston, Blackmans Bay, and Margate), as well as the Channel region.

The Club presently has over 150 active Pennant bowlers (4 men’s Saturday, 2 Midweek and 4 ladies teams), and some 50 social and special bowling members. 

Each Pennant game during the summer brings bowlers from other Clubs to our greens and into the Kingborough community. A social bowls game is also enjoyed on Friday nights and the Club has three BTS (Bowls Tasmania South) carnivals per year.

We are actively trying to increase participation in the sport of lawn bowls and promote the Club as a pleasant environment to play the game, as well as a venue to meet fellow Kingborough citizens through community activities.

The Clubrooms are available for member and community use with organisations such as Rotary and the local darts association using the facilities on a regular basis.

At its AGM in May 2015, the members carried the motion to change the club’s name to the Kingborough Bowls and Community Club Inc., which reflects the true nature of the club and its use as a community facility.